First of all, I want to remind you of my very first linky party….
(Click on the button to see my original post about my party.)
I am sooooo excited. I hope you can come. :)
I can’t wait to see the “best” DIY projects in blogland during the month of March. All you have to do is pick your best DIY project related to home decor or home improvement and link it to my party.
Then after you link up your post to my party, be sure to visit 3 to 5 other blogs and check out their best DIY projects. (And don’t forget to leave an encouraging comment.) :) Let’s spread the love!
I will be using a new linky system called “inlinkz”. You will be able to pick a picture of your project from your post and add it to your link. It will look something like this….(I just added a bunch of links from my blog to give you an example.)
I think it is so much fun to see a “snapshot” of each link! :)
Please pray that it will work out. I am hoping to have the link up and running by Monday night at 9:00 p.m.
Hope to see you there!
Now to my latest project!
I have been working fast and furiously on my master bedroom re-do. I have gotten a lot done but still have more to do.
I wanted to share with you the entertainment armoire that I found for our bedroom.
As I told you before, I wanted to be able to hide the tv in our bedroom. To do this, I decided to try and find an entertainment armoire to re-do.
I searched at some antique malls and on Craig’s list, but had no luck. The ones on Craig’s list were all $200 to $300, and I didn’t want to pay that much. (Remember, I am doing my master bedroom re-do on a $700.00 budget.)
One day I ran into a Habitat store and saw this armoire…
I walked over to check the price and expected it to be way more than what I would have wanted to pay.
So you can imagine my surprise when I saw that it was only $40.00!!! I was so excited!
To be honest, it wasn’t exactly the style I was looking for, but for 40 bucks, I could learn to love it!
When I opened the doors, I quickly realized why it was only 40 dollars…
The back was gone!!
But that didn’t bother me or Eli one bit! That was an easy fix! (My 8 year old help me take these pictures.) :)
I called my honey and said, “Honey, I found an armoire for 40 bucks!”
He said, “Great!”
I said, “The back is gone.”
He said, “Oh.”
“Can you put a back on it for me?”
So I paid my forty dollars and took that baby home! :)
Here it is from behind…
My hubby applied wood glue to the edges…
And then used his staple gun to nail the new back on…
( 4 x 8 sheet of birch plywood - $18.00 at Lowe’s)
I also need some more storage space inside the armoire for baskets, so my hubby built some extra shelving. He used a 4 x 8 sheet of MDF board for the shelves since we were going to paint them. It cost approximately $ 15.00 at Lowe’s, but we only used a little of it. My husband used the leftover wood to make a work table for his garage.
Here are the products I used…
First I applied a liquid deglosser over the entire piece to prepare the surface for painting.
Then I primed the fronts of the armoire with KILZ. Technically, I should have primed the entire armoire for the paint to adhere properly. However, I knew that I wanted to sand down the edges of the armoire after I painted it. If I had primed the edges, the white primer would have shown through, and I didn’t want that.
So I didn’t prime any of the parts that I was planning on sanding. Again, this is my way, not necessarily the right way. :)
I did prime the insides of the armoire because I knew I would be painting them black.
I used my favorite Valspar paint in black satin to paint it.
Then I used a medium grit sanding sponge to sand the edges like this…
I love the way the cherry wood shows through.
Here it is in my room…
(I am sorry these pictures are not the best, but I think I had my camera on the wrong setting. Now it is nighttime and too late to take any good pictures.)
I love the way it turned out!
I just threw some things on top to take these pictures. :)
And I haven’t bought any handles yet. I am still trying to decide what type I want.
Here is the inside of the armoire…
I got the baskets at Gordman’s. They were 10 dollars a piece. We are using them to store socks and such.
I love the way the doors slide back into the armoire. And the tv is up good and high so we can see it perfectly from our bed! :)
We are using the bottom of the armoire to hold some of my husband’s clothing.
Here are the total costs:
Armoire - $40
Wood for back and shelves – approx. $25.00
Paint - $9.00
Baskets - $20.00
So the whole project cost me less than $100.00! Not bad.
I found this armoire at an antique mall a few weeks ago and almost bought it…
They were asking $375.00 for it. I think my armoire turned out just as nice, and I saved $275.00 by being a little creative!
So I used the money I saved to buy a little “bling” for my room!
Here’s a sneak peak...
Ooh-la-la…I love it!
Stay tuned for more of my master bedroom makeover!
I am linking this project up to…
Thanks for stopping by and have a blessed day!